Adventures providing discernment for all who desire it.

Sunday, June 6, 2010

At Home By Myself...with You

Review
Film: At Home By Myself…With You
Director: Kris Booth
Writer: Kris Booth, Ramona Barckert
Runtime: 83 Minutes
Company: Pocket Change Films, Ltd.
Cast: Kristin Booth, Aaron Abrams, Raoul Bhaneja, Rosemary Dunsmore, Shauna Macdonald, Ryan Blakely, Gordon Pinsent

I do not like it when it’s bad.
I sometimes like it when it’s sad.
The shaky parts will make me green.
I’m talking about what’s on screen.

I have been attending this year’s Cannes Film Festival.
Of the movies’ merit, I have been quite skeptical.
So I try something each day that is different and new.
This one entitled “At Home By Myself…With You.”

In the theatre is where I sit.
Waiting patiently for a bit.
The movie I’ve chosen is going to start.
I wonder what will be my favorite part.

As I watch, I notice a thing.
The whole vibe of the film has a different ring.
This film is not like any other.
It’s like a Dr. Seuss novel played out for your mother.

What I mean by this is that it is written for adults.
With sexual references and witty insults.
But the style is playful, with narration and such.
There is animation too, but not very much.

The main character, Romy, makes herself known
And anyone can see the place she calls home.
A quaint little apartment, everything in its place.
Decorated neatly, a fun little space.

Irony at its best lies in her occupation.
Although she never leaves home, she’ll plan your vacation.
With every trip she plans, she changes the deco
To reflect on the country, where she will never go.

Romy is special because she has fears.
She hasn’t left her apartment in about six years.
To her apartment, she never says goodbye.
Because when she does, someone will die.

Because of mortal mishaps, her phobias are strange.
There is a fear of lobsters, opening boxes, kissing, and change.
To help her with her problems, she is aided by friends:
Her old lady neighbor, and some nearby handy men.

When Romy accidentally ventures into the hallway,
Her neighbor sdkjff dies and can no longer stay.
Romy’s long time companion and friendly performer
Is replaced by jsdnfjsdf’s nephew that would rather ignore her.

What ensues is a series of nonsensical proceedings
Between two distinctive people, their love story succeeding.
He assists her in conquering all of her fears…
A love story that entertains without drawing tears.

Booth’s performance as Romy is marked with flair,
Never losing her smile or the pigtails in her hair.
Her character development paints a perfect picture
Of a stubborn girl fighting with the wild person within her.

Dnsfs plays the nomadic but quirky new neighbor,
Whose style is marked with a callous demeanor.
His nonchalant tone and laid-back saunter
Draw feelings, from Booth, that seem to haunt her.

The story presented is quite simple to follow,
Unless you have issues, like your head being hollow.
But in case you need assistance, Gorden Pinsent is here.
He narrates the tale for all to hear.

The movie was made with pocket change donations,
Which I find quite impressive for such a creation.
The filmmakers literally collected nickels, pennies, and dimes
Which I am sure must have created some difficult times.

But with their innovation, they made the story a movie
And I am glad that they did; I find it quite groovy.
The style is similar to “Pushing Daisies,” you see,
But it create something magical, certainly unique.

They finagled their way into the festival
A little Canadian team made quite a spectacle.
I never would have thought that this was in store
When I left the theater, I just wanted more.

No comments:

Post a Comment